If you don't have an account you can still leave comments, just please be sure to include your name in the actual post. I appreciate your posts (thoughts) and prayers! :)

Please, realize that everything I share here is from my personal experience...its very dear to my heart. Please respect that and dont abuse it.


Thursday, September 6, 2012

2 Dipping Oil Recipes and How to Pick a Quality Olive Oil (what I've learned this week)

Our Favorite Dipping Oil:
1/4 c Olive Oil
Pinch of Salt and Cracked Pepper
1 T FRESH Romano cheese
3 t Pampered Chef Sun Dried Tomato Herb Oil Dipping Seasoning
      Allow the flavors to get to know one another for a few minutes. :)  Then dip away!

Close 2nd Dipping oil recipe:
1/4 c Olive Oil
1 T salt
1/2 T crushed Red Pepper Flakes
2-3 cloves minced Garlic
1/2 T dried Oregano
1/2 T dried Basil
1 T salt
Cracked Pepper to your liking (I usually use about 1/2 t)
      Allow the flavors to get to know one another for a few minutes. :)  Then dip away!

HELPFUL HINT:  If you serve dipping oil on a flat plate, your bread will pick up more flavor :)

Next post, I will share with you our favorite NO KNEAD Artisan Bread recipe.



     I dont know about you but I always enjoy learning something new.  Especially when its information that I can put to good use.  I've been researching olive oils because certain ones lately have been making me queasy.  I usually SO very much enjoy olive oil, FRESH Romano cheese, a dash of salt,  and some of my Pampered Chef Sun Dried Tomato rub.  But something about it the other day tasted wrong (I blame it on the pregnancy highly developed senses).  However, upon research....I'm glad I did.  Since the olive oil I still enjoy is Trader Joes, I started there (they have a lot of information on their products online).

"Olive trees have been cultivated widely in the Mediterranean for centuries. References to olives, the tree and the oil, are sprinkled throughout the Bible and other writings from antiquity. At one point it was used as currency. Antiquated vessels that were used to carry the oil and that bear official Roman and Cretan seals have been unearthed in every area of the region. Down through history, the importance of the oil has moved from multi-purpose heating, medicinal and culinary oil, to its current acceptance as one of the best all-around oils for cooking and making salads. Olive oil continues to be highly prized for its flavor, versatility and health benefits.
The "Mediterranean Climate" (warm, sunny days with cool, ocean mist filled nights) produces the perfect growing conditions for olive trees. Although this condition can be found in other places in the world, like the South of France, Turkey, California, Arizona and New Mexico, the most sought after oils are from Italy, Spain and Greece."

 Click here to read more about Trader Joes Olive Oil (production, refrigeration, storing, and baking/frying w/ OO)

Although interesting, that didnt tell me how to make sure I'm purchasing the tasty olive oil.  THANK YOU GOOGLE! :)  So I previously thought that 'first cold press' was the best.  Not so....that was important back in the day when olives were crushed with stone wheels to excrete the oils.  Today, all extra virgin olive oil comes from the first press.  So, thereby, 'cold press' is meaningless.
"Cold Pressed Olive Oil: Then and Now"

Additionally, I thought that was interesting that companies could advertise Italian names, does not mean its derived from Italy---check where your olive oil is harvested from.  As with all things (many countries do not have the standards that we have for 'safe food')!

Finally, have you ever looked on the shelves in the supermarket?  The colors vary widely!!  Guess what?!  THAT tells you a LOT about the flavor of the oil.  Bottom line:  a golden olive oil is characteristic of ripe pressed olives (which is where you get that nice buttery flavor).  Green olive oil (the one I thought was bitter) on the other hand, is characteristic of unripe olives and tends to be bitter and sharp tasting. 


I hope you found this information as interesting as I did! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment