If you don't have an account you can still leave comments, just please be sure to include your name in the actual post. I appreciate your posts (thoughts) and prayers! :)
Please, realize that everything I share here is from my personal experience...its very dear to my heart. Please respect that and dont abuse it.
Please, realize that everything I share here is from my personal experience...its very dear to my heart. Please respect that and dont abuse it.
Monday, August 27, 2012
My Favorite Homemade Cleaning Products Part 2
Thank you so much for visiting me. I am on bed rest and blog-land occupies my mind, its quite entertaining to me.
I will start with answering the questions I was asked after my last post:
What is your experience with Norwex, by the way, and what have you found to be the best way to make mirrors/windows/glass surfaces spotless?
Actually, I had no idea about Norwex. I just googled it to find out more about the company. It looks like it would have a HUGE base market in this area of the country though! I have a friend who swears by another company called Celadon Road, it seems to be the same type of idea though. :)
My absolute FAVORITE way to clean windows, chrome, mirrors, and stainless steel is VERY simple! I put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and use it as I would windex with a paper towel or old baby diaper. It gets EVERYTHING off: germs, toothpaste, hairspray, mascara, fingerprints. NOTE: I do use the Green Works window spray for quick jobs, not my thorough cleaning though.
Does the detergent work for cloth diapers?
I use a different homemade laundry solution for cloth diapers (CD). I have heard that the Borax does something to the pul in the CDs. My hubby and our friends laugh at me for what I'm about to tell you I use as soap for the CDs. I use soapnuts, yes, soapNUTs! http://www.naturoli.com/ Its very simple, and I've had the same large box since we started using cloth over 4 years ago. All you do is simply put about 7-9 soap nuts in a pot of water, bring to a boil, and let it simmer until the nuts are soft (about 20 minutes). I allow it to cool then put it in the fridge to store. I use about 1/2-1 cup of the soap nut detergent to wash. To care for my cloth I do one cold rinse load with baking soda, a hot wash load with soap nut detergent, and an extra rinse load. I have NEVER had stinky problems or rashes since I switched to using these nuts as my detergent. I stripped the diapers from my old detergent, washed them in the soap nuts, and haven't turned back! :)
Something I forgot to mention in my last post. I write the recipes of all my homemade cleaning goods on the containers so when I'm out of it I can simply throw it together.
Wood Cleaner/Air Freshener:
THIS is my favorite, I use it probably daily!
Water
7 drops lavender oil
7 drops lemon oil
I keep this in an 8 oz spray bottle and spray it every night before bed, it can also be used as "Pledge." I use it on our wood staircase and it seems to repel dust (in an old house---thats saying a lot)!
All Purpose Cleaner:
I will put a disclaimer on this saying I JUST switched over from Mrs. Meyers and making my own. SO FAR--I have no qualms with this new recipe.
2 T White Vinegar
Hot water
2 drops of Dawn dish soap
10 drops lavender oil (while optional, makes it smell pleasant while cleaning)
1 t Borax
I put the hot water to the neck in a 16 oz spray bottle, add vinegar and borax. Mix until the borax is dissolved. Add your drops of Dawn and essential oil. Fill the remaining amount of the bottle w/ water.
Powdered Dish-Washer Detergent:
This does get moist, so it ends up more like a paste. I sure if you put a few silica gel packs in it, it will keep it from doing that. However, I dont keep them on hand. I had tried 2 or 3 recipes for dish detergent and was about to give up on them, then I found this one on Pinterest. PINTEREST SAVED THE DAY!!
1 c Borax
1 c Washing Soda
1/2 c LemiShine
1/2 c Salt
I used a Citrucel container and the scoop that comes in it, and its the most wonderful size for this recipe.
Baby Shampoo:
This is more watery than your run of the mill 'shampoo', however using the same amount it lathers just as much--if not more!
12 oz distilled water
Lavender oil
Chamomile oil
4 T grated Castile soap flakes
Bring the water to a boil, turn off the burner and allow it to cool for a few minutes. Add Castile flakes, stir till dissolved, add 5 drops of Lavender oil, 3 drops Chamomile oil. Our little man ADORES this soap. Ever since we started using it he doesnt want help washing :p. Boo for our babies growing up!
Baby Wipes:
Our whole family uses these as baby wipes/cottonelle wipes. DO NOT FLUSH. This is wonderful for babies because its gentle, antibacterial, moisturizing, and one of my faves CHEAP! First I had to find a baby wipe container that would suit my purposes, I ended up finding these at CVS http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Just-The-Basics-Baby-Wipes-Lightly-Scented?skuId=822467 . FYI If I were getting these just for the wipes, I would never buy them again. They are NOT soft, dont hold moisture very well, and you need to use a few for them to do the job. However since I was just using their packaging I didnt care :).
1 paper towel roll
2 c hot, but not boiling H2O
3 drops Tea Tree Oil
3 drop Lavender Oil
2 squirts baby shampoo
1 T Coconut Oil
Ok, first cut your roll of paper towels in half with a sharp knife (or your hubbys saw, te he ;). For the record-and those of you who know my hubby---I'm not saying I did that ;0)! Stuff 1/2 your roll of paper towels in the container, set aside. Mix all remaining ingredients until combined and pour into the paper towel roll. Allow it to soak for a few minutes and the tube in the middle of the paper towels will just come right out!
Homemade Bug Spray:
I havent been using this but my boys have. This is NOT to be used on pregnant women. As with all bug sprays, it should be wiped off your skin when you come inside. It works VERY well! This may totally be a cop out, but I use someone elses EXACT recipe so I'm going to post her website: http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2011/06/make-it-natural-mosquito-spray/
Thats all I can think of right now......when I think of more---you know where I'll be!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Fabulous!
ReplyDeleteI know where to get the soap products, but where do you get your oils? and this may be a dumb questions but what is LemiShine? I realize buying online is likely the cheapest way but please tell me there are actual stores where I can physically go look, compare, & handle these (and THEN maybe find what I want for cheap online)!
Oh and the dish detergent is just for hand washing or dishwashers too?
ReplyDeleteOOps! Sorry, that recipe is for dishwasher detergent -edit-. I have not found the Lemi Shine in the store. However, to be fair, I only looked at WalMart because they have the cool motor carts that I'm limited to now, LOL 8). Sometimes different stores carry different things though, so perhaps your WalMart will? If you did find it, it would be with the dishwasher detergents (as a dishwasher booster). I purchased mine at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Lemi-Shine-Lemishine-Concentrated-Powder/dp/B003TP7CIG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1346172331&sr=8-8&keywords=lemi+shine .
DeleteRight now I am trying out dish soaps...thus far I havent found a homemade one that I like (that cuts grease like I want it to). I'm going to try the detergent with the soap nuts for liquid dish soap. I'll let you know how it goes!
I get my oils from Puritans Pride. I take advantage of their buy 1 get 2 free sale--which is actually going on right now. I get all my oils (essential, almond, jojoba), vitamins, and organic spices and cocoa there.
www.puritan.com