Sooo....on with the recipe? Lets GO!
I got this recipe from an old friend and I dont think I even looked at it....I always assumed that since its "Lobster Bisque" that it would be too hard or too much work. BOY --- I WAS WRONG. Try it for yourself, you wont be sorry! Guess what?! Just in time for Valentines day! I got my lobster at Safeway after watching for a deal. I scored 2 tails for just over $7 (it was originally $23)---and extra money off at the register for getting to $50. So...just because its lobster doesnt mean it 'has' to be super expensive.
LOBSTER BISQUE (serves 4)
1/2 cup butter, unsalted (if you only have salted you can probably skip the salt later)
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 large carrot, roughly chopped
2 inside stalks of celery hearts OR inside stalk from celery, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon parsley, or 3 tablespoons minced fresh
1 teaspoon thyme, or 3 tablespoons minced fresh
1 bay leaf
3-4 tablespoons flour (depending on how thick you want it)
2 uncooked lobster tails in shells
1/4 cup white cooking wine
1/4 cup sherry cooking wine
6 cups vegetable stock (fish stock if you want a more robust fish flavor) + 1 t fish sauce
1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup cream
salt and pepper to taste
In a stock pot melt butter over medium heat. Saute the aromatics (onion, celery, carrot) and lobster tails with a dash of pepper for about 4 minutes. Add stock and spices, simmer on low for about 35 minutes. Remove lobster tails, cut into large chunks, set aside. Liquify the remaining ingredients in the stock pot. If you have an immersion blender, I'd suggest using that. If not puree in blender in SMALL batches (otherwise, it WILL explode your hot yumminess EVERYWHERE----believe me this is why I got an immersion blender :) ).
Pop the remaining 1/4 cup butter in the microwave for 15 seconds....make a paste with the butter and flour, then add it to the stock to make a roux. Add lobster and cream and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Great served with a crusty bread and salad. For aesthetic purposes, you can garnish with a piece of shrimp or fresh herbs (I dont have fresh so I used dry).
APPLE PIE MOONSHINE
This is a popular mixed drink in the south, and can be purchased at a local liquor store. However, it is nowhere as tasty as homemade. Additionally---its a LOT cheaper to make (by ounce). LET IT BE SAID (in case you are cringing) I do not drink...IF I have a beer, I'll have 3 sips and I'm done. I like virgin drinks because I hate the taste of alcohol. This is an exception, I'll actually drink a glass.
3/4 cup raw sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
1/2 750 ml bottle of Everclear
2 quarts Apple Juice
2 quarts Apple Cider
mason jars
Pour cider and apple juice with sugars and cinnamon sticks in stock pot. Bring to a boil, stirring to make sure all the sugar is dissolved. Cool. Add Everclear. Put into mason jars or drink right away. For a true 'moonshine' let it sit in the mason jars in a cool place for 30 days. This is great warm :).
|
| |


No comments:
Post a Comment