If you don't have an account you can still leave comments, just please be sure to include your name in the actual post. I appreciate your posts (thoughts) and prayers! :)

Please, realize that everything I share here is from my personal experience...its very dear to my heart. Please respect that and dont abuse it.


Monday, October 15, 2012

Tomato Soup

This is the recipe we use instead of canned tomato soup.  Originally the recipe was Nordstroms, but we changed it a bit :).  I try to make a batch big enough to last through the winter.  Its SUPER easy/healthy and oh so tasty with grilled cheese if you need a quick supper (or if you're just in the mood :).

Tomato Veggie Bisque
OO
1 onion  (chopped, sliced or whatever your heart desires)
2 stalks celery (again-chopped sliced whatever)
1 bag small carrots (chopped)
whatever fresh veggies you want to throw in there or have to use
1/2 c fresh basil (wash, squeeze dry, measure THEN chop) OR 1-2 TBSP dried
2 28 oz cans whole tomatoes
1 quart chicken broth (I just use whatever I've boiled down from our last whole chicken)
1/2 pint 1/2 and 1/2 or whipping cream (you can use fat free too), I've never made it w/o the dairy but I'm sure you could try
salt and pepper

Heat OO in a stock pot, adding carrots, celery, and onion until they start to soften.  This is when you'd add your fresh veggies, I've add whatever veggies I need to use (zuchinni, tomato, carrot juice, small bit of greens).  Then, add basil, 1/8 t salt & 1/2 tsp pepper, let the veggies continue to get soft.  That should total about 15 minutes.

Add tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil...then turn med low to simmer about 30 minutes. 

Puree w/ an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor until smooth.  Doing batches if necessary.  BE CAREFUL---soup will be very hot and if put under pressure with too much quantity they WILL explode.   Let cook for an additional 15 minutes.  By the way---did I mention I REALLY REALLY LIKE MY IMMERSION BLENDER?!  So much that I think I might need a new one soon ;).

Stir in the cream over low heat, until it is to the creaminess you prefer.  I let it cool, then I store it in freezer bags flat in the freezer till they are needed :0).  The little guy said I needed to add some 'green stuff' to make it look pretty ;). 

4 comments:

  1. Love me some tomato soup! Being that red is my favorite color and tomatoes are my favorite food... although this time of year curry squash/sweetpotato soup is a close second!!

    I might try making this with milk instead of cream - or making my own cream by combining 2/3 cup whole milk with 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter to get 1 cup of heavy cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! :0) Let me know how it turns out. I dont think I've ever had sweet potato soup?? :::raises eyebrows:::

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Thanks for the recipe! Can you can it if you don't add dairy? Would it have to be pressure canned? I have plenty of home canned tomatoes to try this with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you can can it (according to the Big Blue Ball Canning Book). Screw on bands till finger-tight, pressure can at 10 lbs for 20 minutes. I've never pressure canned it bc I've always froze it. Although, this year we have a gas stove so I could try....I'd totally trust Balls' professional guidelines :)!

    ReplyDelete