If you don't have an account you can still leave comments, just please be sure to include your name in the actual post. I appreciate your posts (thoughts) and prayers! :)

Please, realize that everything I share here is from my personal experience...its very dear to my heart. Please respect that and dont abuse it.


Saturday, August 6, 2011

SUPER EASY AND WONDERFULLY CHEAP

For those of you who know me well, you know I really enjoy baking and cooking.  One of my favorite things is making as much from scratch as I can.  I'm sharing with you the recipe for homemade vanilla extract.  Ok, so here's the procedure:

1. Buy 10 vanilla beans off amazon.com (I use Tahitian Beanilla Vanilla beans) $8.50 + $2.44 shipping


2. Buy a bottle of Vodka that is a dark color (I use Skyy Vodka--its dark blue).  Local Liquarium for $13.99

3. Slice the vanilla beans in half and open them a bit, put in vodka (you can also use burbon).  Close the bottle.

4. Let it sit in a cool dark place for 4 1/2 months.  The longer it sits the better it gets!

I originally got this recipe from http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com.  :o)

I prefer to make my own extract because the process of expelling the vanilla flavor out of the bean is NOT natural.  Not to mention, homemade is MUCH tastier (AND CHEAPER)!  P.S.  If you make it now so it'll be ready for Christmas baking :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment